[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Comparison to ActiveMQ

mkelley do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 5 14:38:00 EST 2008

Thanks guys for the prompt replies. Some followup questions:

anonymous wrote : we don't virtual destinations but we do support wildcard routing in JBM 2.0. i.e. if you send a message to topic.* the message will get routed to topic.A, topic.B etc.

We don't want to do this. We need to intermix queues (whose listeners MUST receive and process an ordered sequence of messages) and topics (which can be discarded). Even if a topic-only solution was otherwise ok, it would kind of defeat the purpose: having one (or a few) well-known destinations to which all messages could be cc'd, reconfiguring only the broker to filter/route to the right consumers. Using wildcards, we'd wind up spamming all subtopics so that the 'real' topic (say, topic.stock.redhat) and virtual topic (topic.stock) both receive messages.

anonymous wrote : (WRT composite destinations) no we don't support this at present.

If there's not already in JIRA, shall I go ahead and create one for this?

anonymous wrote : both JBM 1.4 and JBM 2 have a management API for creating destinations on the fly.

Details, please. A management API so that all subsequent calls to createQueue/createTopic result in actual queue/topic creation? Or a management API that allows us to create destinations if the lookup fails?  What's the API?

anonymous wrote : Tim's correct, in JBM 2 we have the notion of addresses. Every queue is bound to an address so if you bind queue A,B and C to address queueABC, they all recieve any messages routed to that address.

Does this apply to topics as well (and can both destination types be bound to the same address)?  Sounds like you're moving toward an AMQP exchange model...?

Mike

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4187046#4187046

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4187046