[jboss-user] [Microcontainer] - [VFS] Better way to scan for modifications

dazz_x do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Nov 14 06:58:17 EST 2008

Hi all,

I didn't see any forum for VFS, so I post here since I use it with the MicroContainer.

My question is about the possibility to know if a VirtualFile or one of its children has been recently modified.

Context :
I work on a grid that executes jobs. Each job instance arriving at a node is of the same type and delegates execution to an engine whose implementation depends on some metadata hold by the instance. The grid node is started as a service by the microcontainer, but messaging between nodes is performed by the Grid. I would like to be able to put jars in a predefined directory that could serve as an implementation for the Engine interface in a hot manner (i want to be able to hot deploy some implementations).  I tried to understand deeply MC deployment framework to achieve that, but i certainly misunderstood some concepts as I've come to think that it was mandatory for me to write my own deployers (and the way to effectively implement that is a bit blur to me, since some parts of docs are not written).

So, I have a periodic scanner that is meant to determine if a directory has appeared elsewhere and then trigger a loading of the classes included in it (as jar files).
In my scanning method, I wanted to do a snapshot of the current VirtualFile hierarchy in order to compare it to the future hierarchy (found by the next scan).
But I didn't see any way to "freeze" the VirtualFile hierarchy as the VirtualFiles are bound to the handler objects so I can't do a freeze copy (or immutable if you prefer) that I can store and compare later.
I saw the hasBeenModified() method of Virtual File, but the modification time is said to be initialized at Handler's instantiation, so when the file is first "discovered" by the VSF.

I hope you'll see my point and give advice to me

Cheers

dazz_x

PS : sorry for my poor english

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4189354#4189354