[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - Confusion between JBossweb.deployer and JBossweb.sar

ptemmerman do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Nov 21 04:35:01 EST 2008

Hi all,

I already have some basic knowledge of Tomcat and JBoss, but now I want to really get started with it. So I bought this new book JBoss in Action, which focuses on JBoss 5. I'm already a few chapters far and realized that some things aren't completed clear to me. I thought it would be advisable to get a better understanding, before continuing to read.

The main confusion I got is related to deployers.
As far as I understood from the book, the deployers located in server/deployers are responsible for what else than deploying applications.
Now, there is this jbossweb.deployer, which isn't completely clear to me.

Is this deployer only used to be able to deploy jbossweb.sar?
The configuration files located in that deployer, are they used to configure Tomcat? Or is it rather to configure whatever web application?

I'm confused by the fact that I find configuration XMLs in both jbossweb.deployer and jbossweb.sar (in /deploy/). The book isn't really getting deeper into the purpose of those files. So I'm not sure what is configured where, and above all, why it should be "there" (as in location), and not "there".

The thing is that in JBoss 4.2 this is completely different. In JBoss 4.2 there is no jbossweb.sar, everything is configured under jbossweb.deployer.

I'm hoping someone could give me a few hints as to what this is all about.
Or if you could point me to a chapter in some documentation, or an article explaining this, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4191155#4191155

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4191155