[jboss-user] [Microcontainer] - Re: Configuration deployments

david.lloyd@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Nov 24 14:11:11 EST 2008

"charles.crouch at jboss.com" wrote : Bingo. This looks like a usecase for the profileservice.

Excellent!  Where can I find more information about profileservice?

"charles.crouch at jboss.com" wrote : So if the profileservice doesn't do what you need it to today, I think we should at least investigate what changes would be required.

  | - Presumably you want those runtime changes to also persist across app restarts?

Yes, that would seem to make sense.

"charles.crouch at jboss.com" wrote : - What sort of "reconfiguration" are you looking to do? Change property values?

Perhaps a little more in depth than that - the configuration data might be somewhat complex (plain objects but also e.g. lists/sets/maps etc. as well).  I'm thinking more of an object model that is mappable to an XML configuration format.  I'm inclined to believe that the service itself would be in the best position to ascertain how the configuration should be merged into the running state of the service.

"charles.crouch at jboss.com" wrote : - Would it be acceptable to annotate properties you wanted to be able to change, so the profile service knows they needed managing? Or does that count as a "hard API dependency"?

Annotations should be fine as long as the annotation classes are not a runtime dependency... Though I have a hard time envisioning an annotation-backed system that would be as flexible as simply plugging a metadata object into a service method when the config changes.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4191858#4191858

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4191858