[jboss-user] [Clustering/JBoss] - Session Replication and Sticky Session

oosie do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Oct 31 16:31:10 EDT 2008

I'm using JBoss 4.2.3.GA on two nodes and Apache 2.2 on a separate node. I'm trying to have both session replication and sticky session to work at the same time, but so far without success.

I started to configure my setup for sticky session alone, by adding the jvmRoute attribute to the Engine tag on each JBoss node. I configured my Apache's load balancer accordingly. Testing this setup showed that sticky sessions works fine: I see the jvmRoute attribute value nicely appended to each JSESSIONID, and Apache is making sure the sticky part works.

Then I continued to configure my setup throwing session replication in the mix. I added  to my application's web.xml and created the additional jboss-web.xml as follows:

<jboss-web>
  |     <replication-config>
  |         <replication-trigger>SET_AND_NON_PRIMITIVE_GET</replication-trigger>
  |         <replication-granularity>SESSION</replication-granularity>
  |         <replication-field-batch-mode>true</replication-field-batch-mode>
  |     </replication-config>
  | </jboss-web>
I verified that session replication works with this setup. However, the jvmRoute attribute value is not being appended to the JSESSIONID anymore, thus losing the stickyness.

My application is just a simple test servlet that returns the IP address of the node that handled the request, the JSESSIONID associated with the current session, and a counter which is stored into the session and gets incremented with each incoming request associated with that session. It doesn't use any kind of framework. It's just a simple servlet.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Jack...

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4186134#4186134