[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - Re: How to reliably count active sessions (re-post)

mrgordonz do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Sep 8 03:15:05 EDT 2008

"kjkoster" wrote : Read up on what mbeans are and how to interpret them. Then apply that to the jboss jmx console. I know it's big, but the first time you looked under the hood of your car it was big also. Now you just top up the oil even on cars you've never seen in your life

Hi Kees,

To extend your analogy of looking under the hood, the first time I topped up the oil someone showed me exactly how to do it.  And while it is true that I can now confidently top up the oil in just about any car, that task is pretty trivial compared to say replacing a blown head gasket.  I would not attempt to replace a head gasket because I don't have the time (or the inclination) to learn that much about engines - I pay a mechanic to do that.

Returning to the question at hand - I don't have the time (or the inclination) to delve into the guts of mbeans or the jmx console.  My TO DO list is so huge that taking time out to learn about this stuff is not a viable option for me (as interesting as it might be).

I have been searching for an answer to this question for about 6 weeks now, and I am astonished at how difficult it seems to be.  The JBoss Management Console shows me exactly the information I require - Active Sessions for a particular web application.  Where does it get this information?  Can that information be retrieved in some other way - for example, a custom class which calls some API?

"kjkoster" wrote : ...though you can hire me to do that.

How much do you charge?  If it took say an hour or two of your time to walk me through the steps to retrieve this information, and your rates are affordable, I would be interested in paying you to help me.  Alternatively, I don't know if you are one of the Experts on Experts Exchange who tries to accumulate points by solving problems, but if you are I have an open question on this very topic: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Application_Servers/Java/Jboss/Q_23663083.html

Cheers,

Paul

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4174893#4174893

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4174893