[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Take 3 - Relationship between jboss-app.xml and *-object

thetikigod do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Sep 9 09:31:30 EDT 2008

I am not sure what jboss-app does, however the -object.xml, generates "windows" of a portlet instance and tells them where they should go on the screen. It follows this structure:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

  | <deployments>
  |
  |     <!-- Hello World Portlet -->
  |     <deployment>
  |         <if-exists>overwrite</if-exists>
  |         <parent-ref>default.default</parent-ref>
  |
  |         <window>
  |             <window-name>HelloWorldPortletWindow</window-name>
  |             <instance-ref>HelloWorldPortletInstance</instance-ref>
  |             <region>left</region>
  |             <height>1</height>
  |         </window>
  |     </deployment>
  | </deployments>

I think this is what youre talking about.  Granted, I havent messed with the JSF Portal Bridge much yet, but the only JBoss specific xml file ive come across so far is jboss-portlet.xml.  The -object.xml may be used by an app on any app server (never used anything but JBoss AS, so those that have used liferay, websphere etc can you confirm?).  I have found that the -object.xml is optional - you could place a portlet in a portal via the admin portal or use this file to automatically place it in a portal.  I hope this helps and is not totally off base.  I have written 2 tutorials that between the two of them describe the xml files i have described here.  Again, I dont know how applicable they are as I have not used the JSF Portal Bridge yet.

-object.xml
http://knol.google.com/k/matt-cook/injecting-javascript-and-css-into/1ueb8yo1mnkcr/5#

jboss-portlet.xml
http://knol.google.com/k/matt-cook/injecting-javascript-and-css-into/1ueb8yo1mnkcr/5#