[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Take 3 - Relationship between jboss-app.xml and *-object

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 18 12:23:35 EDT 2008

I have been watching these posts for a while and frankly I have not understood the question. In addition, I do not use RichFaces with Portal and thus did not know if any of my input would even apply.

But then I saw this:

anonymous wrote : i) the "*" in front of -object.xml stands for nothing.

Let me see if I understand this correctly - you don't know what "*" in "*-object.xml" means? I think this is the first time I have seen your question put this way, and frankly I never would have thought that anyone would ask what "*" means. It means the same thing as when doing a dir or ls command from a command prompt - it a substitution character for any text. In other ords, "*-object.xml" match "default-object.xml" and "myportal-object.xml" and "foobar-object.xml" and so on. And yes you can have multiple *-object.xml files. Or am I once again misunderstanding your question?

Also, I think you are having an issue with how the Portal behaves. The portlet-instances.xml and *-object.xml files are used to initialize the data with information about the portlet.  Once the database is initialized, the Portal uses the database to do its work in displaying and managing the portlets.

The whole reason for the if-exists tag in those descriptor files is to decide what to do on redeployment if the portlet information is already in the database. The "override" value is supposed to make the file information overwrite the database, but I have found that operation to not be that foolproof. Therefore I always recommend that if-exists be set to "keep", in which case the database will be populated only on the first deployment , and after that you need to use the admin portal to manage the portlets.

By the way, I set up my portlet build script such that I have the option of wiping out the database so that I can get a clean, new deployment of my portlets. This way I can fine tune the settings in the descriptor files and be assured that those settings will be made. Of course, that works only during development. For my production portal I use the admin portal to make changes after the portlet goes into production.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4177484#4177484

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4177484