[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - JBoss jsr-88 implementation: why deployment api is not just

raccoon do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Sep 19 11:49:30 EDT 2008

Hello,

For those of you that don't know, jsr-88 (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=88) is a standard API which, implemented by Product Providers, may allow Tools or end user to write custom client that deploys applications on any server, without the need of learning yet another specific API.

JBoss supports jsr-88. Wolfgang Knauf has written a custom client (http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/JSR88Client) that deploys on JBoss using the JBoss jsr-88 implementation. But as he has noticed, "the app is no longer deployed when the server is restarted".

It really amazes me, because jsr-88 could be easily implemented as a facade which uses the real functionality (the one that is probably written years ago, before jsr-88 even appeared)

Glassfish has done it this way. As we can see from the Deployment Architecture diagram (https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/deployment/), the jsr-88 api is from the client side.

My question is why a deployed application disappears from JBoss application server if jsr-88 implementation is used? Wouldn't it be easier to create just a facade by given standard interfaces instead of writing different functionality. Or maybe I am missing something?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4177711#4177711

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4177711