[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: when does java release commited memory back to the OS

hari.svnit do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Apr 1 05:14:05 EDT 2009

Hi Peter, Thanks a lot for the super-quick reply. I have gone through your article and I must admit that it is top class.
I have tried with the new setting you suggested for -Xmn. I have tried the following test this time :
I have created two jboss server configurations, and i have a code(in index.jsp of the web-app) which takes the heap memory usage to 500MB while the jsp is rendered, and (from jconsole) this usage is coming down to 120 MB after gc.
But the committed memory is still 500 MB and in the task manager the usage is still at the peak of 550 MB.
The same is happening with the second server configuation as well.

So Although, both my java processes together are using only 300 MB at the moment, the task manager sees them as using 1100MB together and my physical memory is getting 94% full.
In this case, since the used memory is coming down to its startup value, I am guessing it is not either a memory leak or garbage collection issue.

How do i get these processes to release the extra memory ? Can you please help us out ?

Thanks
Hari

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4222541#4222541

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4222541