[jboss-user] [Clustering] - Re: FirstAvailable LBP is sticky when not serialized

bstansberry@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Dec 7 16:03:12 EST 2009

I take it this is an EJB2 bean? EJB2 directly stores the client proxy in JNDI, so yeah I can see how all in-VM clients would end up with a shared reference to a single LoadBalancePolicy instance. EJB3 should work somewhat differently, as what's stored in JNDI is a javax.naming.Reference which results in an ObjectFactory instantiating a new LoadBalancePolicy instance each time the client does the JNDI lookup.

TBH, w/ EJB2 I think you are better off w/ your serialization/deserialization hack, as it's extremely unlikely the EJB2 impl will be changed. It would take a pretty significant change to fix this (basically changing to the EJB3 approach) and EJB2 is in maintenance mode.

Another problem you'll face is the EJB proxy includes logic to detect when the bean container is present locally, in VM. If it is, the call is routed to the local bean; it won't be load balanced. See "Why are calls between clustered session beans not load balanced even though load balancing policy is Round Robin?" on http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-9306.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4269433#4269433

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4269433