[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - Confused about: Eclipse, Eclipse WTP, and JBoss; what do I

matthewtap do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Feb 22 21:47:57 EST 2009

I have developed using NetBeans and the Sun Java EE 5 Application Server.

But, I am new to Eclipse [I can use it for POJO's], as well as JBoss.  I have found mid to high level info on both... there is mid to high level stuff coming out of my ears.  But I do not know what exactly is needed.

What I want to do:
-- I'd like to use Eclipse as the IDE, as I used NetBeans.
-- and I'd like to use JBoss as the App Server / Servlet Container [I suppose Tomcat will be the resource for the Servlet Container at least].

But, what I don't know:
-- Is this a standard 'marriage'... or is there an IDE that is packaged with JBoss that I do not know about?
-- Most significantly, the role of the Eclipse WTP -- is this something I would still need if I were to use Eclipse as the IDE along with JBoss as the App Server?
       Or, is the Eclipse WTP something that would just duplicate functions that JBoss handles?

I know this is a JBoss forum, but the questions are related to each other.

Since all books / documents I can find on this talk about either JBoss or Eclipse and the WTP, there isn't anything I've found that contrasts the two and helps me understand what I would really need.

For sake of this question, assume I'm wanting to be able to make a 'hello world' version of a Servlet and JSP page, and also to connect to a Derby Database.

I wish I had the time so I could learn everything I need to learn about both, and thus I'd be able to make the determination myself, but I need a starting place, as I feel like I'm looking for the starting blocks while wearing a blind fold.

If anyone who understands this stuff can help me out, I'd be grateful for the assistance.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4212118#4212118

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4212118