[jboss-user] [JBoss Cache: Core Edition] - Re: FIFO Ordering

manik.surtani@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 23 04:58:55 EST 2009

"genman" wrote : Manik, There should be some way to create FIFO nodes using a different implementation of Node Factory.

Possibly, but at the moment it isn't configurable and there is no way to inject a custom node factory - unless you want to hack the ComponentRegistry and do a re-wire.  Using different Map types in each Node is something we have been considering but there is a cost attached to using ordered maps everywhere (especially since with MVCC there is a lot of copying of maps going on, hence our FastCopyHashMap implementation).  With ordering, this becomes even more expensive.

And even if we were to only use ordered maps for certain nodes to limit the impact, there is an issue of how this is specified. Declaratively, by specifying certain subtrees to be ordered?  Or programmatically, via Node.addChild() and Node.addOrderedChild()?  Or Node.makeOrdered()?  The programmatic approach also impacts cache loaders and replication since these method invocations would need to be replicated to make sure the node is ordered across a cluster and a flag persisted with the node data in cache loaders, breaking all existing cache loaders.

So it isn't nearly as trivial as you think.  :-)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4212176#4212176

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4212176