[jboss-user] [Tomcat, HTTPD, Servlets & JSP] - @Resource Injection fails in servlet the second time

tomnicholls do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Feb 26 12:03:55 EST 2009

I am trying to inject a JDBC DataSource into a servlet running on JBoss 5.0.0.GA

The DataSource injection appears to work the first time the servlet is called (after deployment) and I get a Connection successfully.

However, when the servlet is called the second time, I get an error:

anonymous wrote : 16:53:59,687 ERROR [STDERR] org.jboss.util.NestedSQLException: You are trying to use a connection factory that has been shut down: ManagedConnectionFactory is null.; - nested throwable: (javax.resource.ResourceException: You are trying to use a connection factory that has been shut down: ManagedConnectionFactory is null.)
  | 16:53:59,687 ERROR [STDERR] 	at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.WrapperDataSource.getConnection(WrapperDataSource.java:95)

This is a test project for training purposes.  I am using a mysql datasource thus:

  |   <local-tx-datasource>
  |       <jndi-name>bank</jndi-name>
  |       <use-java-context>false</use-java-context>
  |       <connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/bank</connection-url>
  |       <driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
  |       <user-name>training</user-name>
  |       <password>codeclass</password>
  |    </local-tx-datasource>

and injecting into the servlet as follows:

  | @Resource(mappedName="bank")
  | private DataSource dataSource;

Either the datasource is timing out or I have misunderstood the lifecycle of dependency injection into servlets somehow.

A straight lookup of the datasource works, incidentally, on each servlet call:

  | Context ctxt = new InitialContext();
  | dataSource =  (DataSource)(ctxt).lookup("bank");

Clearly I've missed something important here.  I've had similar issues injecting EJBs into servlets with JBoss 5 (i.e. works first time then fails subsequently) but I realise there are issues with this in any case.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

- Tom

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4213454#4213454

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4213454