[jboss-user] [Remoting] - Re: Why so many retries?

ron.sigal@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Jan 4 02:28:29 EST 2009

anonymous wrote :
  |   | I don't follow. What's the outcome?
  |   |

  | It worked just fine. It reduced the number of times it was trying to get the Socket (client invoker) to the server.

Great!

"mohitanchlia" wrote :
  | I have another question though, In clustered environment when is the pool created on client side? Because until client gets first request it will not know which servers to connect to. Is it that after first client invocation "CLIENT" retains the connection?

Exactly.  Each time the EJB3 proxy is called to make an invocation, it will create an org.jboss.remoting.Client.  The Client will look for an org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.MicroSocketClientInvoker for the currently designated server, and either (1) reuse an existing MicroSocketClientInvoker, if there is one, or (2) create a new MicroSocketClientInvoker.  It is the MicroSocketClientInvoker that stores the connection pool.

"mohitanchlia" wrote :
  | When I read the documentation of new Jboss remoting it still has numberOfRetries. I am still confused about how retries work because what you described differs from what's mentioned in the doc. Or may be the way I am interpreting is not right. My understanding is that server registry creates ClientInvoker (MicroSocket) and returns. Now when ClientInvoker tries to establish remote connection and at that time it tries for numberOfRetries until it gets successful connection.

Your misunderstanding is completely my fault, and I apologize.  I failed to remove the reference to "numberOfRetries" from the Remoting Guide.  I have created JIRA issue "Remove reference to "numberOfRetries" parameter from Remoting Guide" (https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBREM-1078) to make sure I fix the Guide for the next release.

You're right, by the way, about the sequence of events.  Client.connect() just creates the MicroSocketClientInvoker.  When Client.invoke() is called, the MicroSocketClientInvoker will try to reuse an existing connection, or, if none exists and the maximum number of connections are not already in existence, it will create a new connection.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4199383#4199383

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4199383