[jboss-user] [Persistence, JBoss/CMP, Hibernate, Database] - JPA Entity attached scope?

Sanjuro do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 6 12:45:31 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm using JBoss 5.0 with JPA for storing my data in a database. However at some point in my code my entities become detached from the persistence context when passing them to a different class.

When exactly do entities get detached? Outside the method scope they were created in? Outside the class? Outside the JAR file they were created in? Or maybe when traversing a remote interface?

More specific: I have an entity which looks like this:

  | @Entity
  | public class Customer implements java.io.Serializable {
  |     @Id
  |     private Long Id;
  |     private String firstName;
  |     [...]
  | }

And a interface to retrieve the entity:

  | @Remote
  | public interface CustomerDBAO {
  |     public Customer get(Long customerId);
  |     [...]
  | }

And of course a EJB to implement the interface:

  | @Stateless
  | public class CustomerDBAOBean implements CustomerDBAO {
  |     public Customer get(Long customerId) {
  |         return em.find(Customer.class, customerId);
  |     }
  |     [...]
  | }

All three are in data.jar. Then in ejb.jar with a class which retrieves the entity:

  | @Stateless
  | public class CustomerFacadeBean {
  |     @EJB
  |     CustomerDBAO customerDBAO;
  |     [...]
  | }

In the CustomerFacadeBean the Customer entity is detached. What do I need to change to make sure the entity stays attached? Put all classes in the same package? Change to a local interface? Or move the method to the CustomerDBAO class?

Thanks

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4199852#4199852

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4199852