[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - FreeMarker IDE Hangs Consistently

kaliatech do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 27 11:23:55 EST 2009

Does anyone else have a problem with the Freemarker plug-in hanging after a certain amount of time?

It happens to me fairly consistently when making changes to a larger FreeMarker template. It seems to happen, after a certain amount of time, exactly when I make  change in the editor window that causes the content to get reparsed. I often see the outline view flash when it happens. When it happens, Eclipse becomes completely unresponsive, including the painter thread. (The Eclipse GUI stops updating). The only way to recover is to ctrl-alt-delete Eclipse.  I don't have problems with Eclipse hanging any other time.

These hangs have been happening to me for the past ...two years?, using multiple versions of Eclipse and the FreeMarker plugin.  I haven't seen others similar postings about this anywhere, so perhaps it has something subtle to do with how I set up my templates/HTML code specifically?  I've also tried multiple memory settings, etc., all to no avail.  It's a real pain. I tried switching to Intellij for a while as it's has an okay freemarker plugin, but I'd prefer to stay in Eclipse.

Fwiw:
 - Windows XP, SP2
 - Eclipse 3.4.1 (M20080911-1700)
 - FreeMarker IDE 1.0.2.GA

If anyone has suggestions on how to debug this further, please let me know. I don't see a stack trace, JVM dump, or any other useful info. from the hangs.  (Perhaps I can try running Eclipse in a console window and then try ctrl-breaking the java process when it hangs? ...assuming that's possible on Windows with Eclipse.)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4205025#4205025

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4205025