[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - Re: Ejb3 sources in zipped form

ALRubinger do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 27 15:06:29 EST 2009

"skajotde" wrote : "ALRubinger" wrote :
  |   | Would an additional assembly of all the EJB3 component resources in one place solve this?  ie. ejb3-sources-1.0.0.jar, which contains all the sources from the various component versions that are in the EJB3 1.0.0 distribution?
  |   |

  | Yes, it would be great.

Cool, I'll discuss this w/ the other guys on the team.  Appreciate your feedback.

"skajotde" wrote : "ALRubinger" wrote : No, the ejb3-plugin contains all artifacts to be installed, and is a standard executable JAR.  There's no downloading involved.

  | Ok,  but I'm suprised. Other JBoss projects release zips with scripts. Why you release jar which hide details what to do? As I wrote I'm not pro shell script, I think java to instalation is good but in more open form ;) Like zip with jars and sources with ejb3-installer (You can see what doing install shell script so I think it would be fine to see what doing ejb3-installer). You don't give reason why you choose ejb3-installer as jar.
  |
  | I checked jar and you are right, it contain all libraries and has simple rules to work but I many prefer zip and when downloaded jar I was some confused.

Well, the difference between ZIP and JAR is just a format specification, right?  ;)

The Plugin, as packaged currently, takes just one step to install, making it less error-prone (no need to unzip, run a script; just execute the JAR).

"Why hide details what to do"?  Encapsulation! :D  I don't understand your Linux comparison; in standard RedHat packaging a RPM also will self-extract and install itself.  I believe implementation details *should* be hidden to the user.  The contract is that this artifact patches AS.  The issue of "how" is out-of-scope, but you can still get at the working parts underneath if you need to.

S,
ALR

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4205066#4205066

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4205066