[jboss-user] [JNDI/Naming/Network] - Re: Getting DB connection from jboss pool via JNDI

amayen do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jul 4 06:01:43 EDT 2009

Ok, thanks for clarifying Peter!

The reason I believe that this is an anti-pattern comes from reading some sources on the internet like the following:

http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/ConfigDataSources

In clause "Configuring a DataSource for remote usage" it is said that:

anonymous wrote : This results in the DataSource being bound under the JNDI name "GenericDS" instead of the default of "java:/GenericDS" which restricts the lookup to the same VM as the jboss server.

  | Note: JBoss does not recommend using this feature on a production environment. It requires accessing a connection pool remotely and this is an anti-pattern as connections are not serializable. Besides, transaction propagation is not supported and it could lead to connection leaks if the remote clients are unreliable (i.e crashes, network failure). If you do need to access a datasource remotely, JBoss recommends accessing it via a remote session bean facade.

So I'm still a little bit in the dark of why the project I'm working on now, seemed to be working without use-java-context and without using remote session bean facades as indicated in the qoute. Its a little mistery till now to me.

Is having Tomcat and JBoss in a separate process so uncommon?

I'm considering testing to use the embedded tomcat, maybe that helps.

Kind regards, Anatol

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4241783#4241783

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4241783