[jboss-user] sticky_session=0 + UseJk=false + HTTP Session Replication

Nicholas Schuetz jboss-user at thelinuxshack.com
Wed Jul 8 10:45:53 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have a setup with:

Two hardware load balancers -> 2 Apache 2.2 instances running mod_jk
1.2.28 LB w/ sticky_session=0 -> 2 JBossAS 4.2.3 Servers doing HTTP
Session Replication via JBoss Clustering.

* My hardware load balancers are not configured to do sticky sessions
* My Apache 2.2 w/ mod_jk lb workers have sticky_session=0 set (No
Sticky Sessions)

Since I do not have sticky_session enabled do I still need to have
UseJK=true and my jvmRoute value set for mod_jk LB and HTTP Session
Replication to work?

In deploy/jboss-web.deployer/META-INF/jboss-service.xml it reads:

--- SNIP ---
     <!--
      Whether to use MOD_JK(2) for load balancing with sticky session
      combined with JvmRoute. If set to true, it will insert a JvmRouteFilter
      to intercept every request and replace the JvmRoute if it detects a
      failover. In addition, you will need to set the JvmRoute inside
      Tomcat, e.g.,
        Engine name="jboss.web" jmvRoute="Node1" defaultHost="localhost"
      in server.xml.

      For clustering purpose only.
      -->
      <attribute name="UseJK">false</attribute>
--- SNIP ---

This suggest to me that unless you are using sticky_session=1 in
mod_jk you don't need to set UseJK to true and the jvmRoute. Is this
assumption correct?

If UseJK is set to false does mod_jk LB still work with JBoss? Will
other aspects of jboss clustering still function as they should i.e
Session Replication?

Thanks,

Nick