[jboss-user] [Remoting] - Re: Race condition in ConnectionValidator

ron.sigal@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 4 00:03:53 EST 2009

Hi Tarek,

Yes, I agree with your analysis.  However, I believe that the appropriate solution is just to fix the configuration parameters.  There is no reason for two WaitOnConnectionCheckTimerTasks to be running at once.  Rather, validatorPingPeriod should be longer than validatorPingTimeout, so that if a PING times out, there is time for the ConnectionValidator to notify any listeners and shut itself down before another PING is sent.

For example, JBossMessaging, by default, sets validatorPingPeriod to 10000 ms and validatorPingTimeout to 5000 ms.

I've created JBREM-1108 "Warn against making ConnectionValidator.validatorPingPeriod shorter than ConnectionValidator.validatorPingTimeout" to remind me to make this point clear in the Remoting Guide.

Thanks for bringing this source of failure to my attention.

-Ron

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4214745#4214745

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4214745