[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - Re: H10 plugins left when upgrade to H11

nickboldt do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Mar 9 11:03:59 EDT 2009

"bdlink" wrote : You are saying that updates only add?  This means that all of the old versions of modules will hang around?  Sorry, I did not understand that, and it seems to me that the old modules hanging around would create a lot of trouble.  Please clarify that this is what you mean.

  | My point is that an update should update, replacing what went before, not leaving it around.  If the update to H10 is H11, should not the H10 plugin directories disappear?

I agree - and if you come from the Linux world then yes, update == replace with newer.

Eclipse, however, comes from the Windows world, where installing a new service pack or security fix means ADDING more code but not replacing it. So, yes, over time your Eclipse install will get bigger and bigger unless you do and uninstall to remove old version(s), then install something newer.

The only garbage collection that exists in the p2 installer AFAIK is that if you ask to remove plugin A which depends on plugin B, and nothing else needs B, it'll remove B too. But if you install A version 2.0.1 to update A version 2.0.0, you'll get both.

Stupid, I know, but there's nothing we can do about it. Hopefully the story has improved in Eclipse 3.5, due out in June.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4216243#4216243

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4216243