[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - Re: JSF, JSP with EJB3

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 11 10:33:11 EDT 2009

Look at the books Core Servlets and JSPs and More Servlets and JSPs, both free downloads from http://books.coreservlets.com/ - they are somewhat dated, but they give many basics on servlet and JSP development.

If you are just now getting into JSPs, I recommend that you avoid scriptlets (server-side Java script). Instead, all of your processing (looking up or saving the entity bean, in your case (actually, I would put that logic within a stateless session bean EJB)) should be done in a servlet, and then you should use JSP Expression Language (EL) and tag libraries (JSTL) to render the data.

For an example of what I mean, download the source code for JBoss in Action (http://www.manning.com/jbossinaction), and look at these files:

jbia-src/ch03/src/video/java/org/jbia/har/Video.java (the entity bean)
jbia-src/ch03/src/video/java/org/jbia/har/VideoServlet.java (the servlet)
jbia-src/ch03/src/video/webapp/index.jsp (the JSP)

While that represents a Hibernate example, the concepts are the same. There are more example in that source code bundle.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4216980#4216980

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4216980