[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - Re: seam-gen IDE vs Console

bdlink do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 18 14:01:03 EDT 2009

I think there are several issues here, but I am reinstalling everything at the moment and trying a Linux 64 stack so I am not sure of the situation since 3.0.GA (have been using the nightlies).  When I was driving to work today, I was thinking that JBT/seam-gen integration was a big remaining issue, so was surprised to find a related topic already posted :-)  Before I get started, congratulations to the JBT team on their 3.0 GA release!  That is quite a milestone.

1. Last I looked, seam-gen had a few more features than JBT version (such as allowing generating the model separately from the UI CRUD) so it would be nice to take a seam-gen project, import it into JBT and run it from there.  Seam-gen tells you to import the project (they do create an eclipse project) into eclipse as a general project.  Doing that and adding the seam runtime in the properties file did not (last checked) allow using the JBoss tool to deploy the project to the server or use JBT tools to add new entities, etc.   Without autodeploy you are slowed down a lot!

2. We have had issues with eclipse autobuild messing things up when using seam to deploy (since seam will also build things).

3. As I understand Dan Allen's blogs there are inherent differences between the way Eclipse builds a project (not using ant) and seam-gen (using ant).  It would be nice to resolve this so it is not an issue.

4. seam-gen ear does not generate the multiple projects which have been the eclipse style for ear projects (and which JBT converted to a while ago).  This is a seam issue that would be nice to "fix" (or a nice feature to add on the seam side).

As I read max.anderson's post, he does not seem to say that starting with a command-line seam-gen project, importing it into JBT and continuing with JBT works.  He seems to be saying that starting with JBT and continuing with JBT works (I should hope so).  Starting with seam-gen command line and staying with that also works.

I think the biggest confusion at the moment, is how plain seam and JBT can work together (if they can).  If not, clarify that a seam-gen project can be imported into Eclipse but only if JBT is not installed.  At the moment it looks like you have to stay with what you start from, JBT or seam-gen command line.  After the huge effort to move to eclipse 3.4.2 (which is greatly appreciated), maybe more effort on JBT/seam-gen integration.  I admit I do not understand the issues around ant versus WTP driven build/deploy and how hard that is to bridge.  I am speaking as a user here.

Note that Dan Allen, in "Seam in Action" "Choosing an IDE" says "I find NetBeans easier to get into if you are a new user"  I would hope this opinion can change, since NetBeans does not have the functionality that JBT has!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4219196#4219196

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4219196