[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - Re: seam-gen IDE vs Console

max.andersen@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 18 19:03:03 EDT 2009

"bdlink" wrote : Before I get started, congratulations to the JBT team on their 3.0 GA release!  That is quite a milestone.

Thanks! :)

anonymous wrote :
  | 1. Last I looked, seam-gen had a few more features than JBT version (such as allowing generating the model separately from the UI CRUD)

JBT have Hibernate tools code generation which gives the exact same features (and  more).

For the Generate Entities wizard we added the option of Generating UI from the model (being able to skip the ui generation step) - I guess we should also add in a "Generate Model only" option. We missed that this time around but it is trivial to add so please - Open a jira and vote for it!

anonymous wrote :
  | so it would be nice to take a seam-gen project, import it into JBT and run it from there.  Seam-gen tells you to import the project (they do create an eclipse project) into eclipse as a general project.

Yup and that usecase is supported by us now (we added it in JBoss Tools 2.1 i believe)

anonymous wrote :
  | Doing that and adding the seam runtime in the properties file did not (last checked) allow using the JBoss tool to deploy the project to the server or use JBT tools to add new entities, etc.   Without autodeploy you are slowed down a lot!

seam-gen projects are not automatic deployable since they depend on what I normally call "Ant voodoo magic" - such as renaming files, doing property replacement and not having any standard locations for its files.

BUT you can use project archives to get very close to autodeploy assuming you call the "ant voodoo magic" before hand - which is doable. Dan Allen talked about adding project archives support for plain seam-gen projects out of the box.

anonymous wrote :
  | 2. We have had issues with eclipse autobuild messing things up when using seam to deploy (since seam will also build things).

Yes, see "ant voodoo magic" from above ;)

anonymous wrote :
  | 3. As I understand Dan Allen's blogs there are inherent differences between the way Eclipse builds a project (not using ant) and seam-gen (using ant).  It would be nice to resolve this so it is not an issue.

Yes, but how would you resolve it ?

Remove Ant -> no command line build

Use only Ant -> Loose all the intelligence that Eclipse can provides via its incremental system.

anonymous wrote :
  | 4. seam-gen ear does not generate the multiple projects which have been the eclipse style for ear projects (and which JBT converted to a while ago).  This is a seam issue that would be nice to "fix" (or a nice feature to add on the seam side).

Yes, I believe both options should be in seam-gen since that is actually doable.

anonymous wrote :
  | As I read max.anderson's post, he does not seem to say that starting with a command-line seam-gen project, importing it into JBT and continuing with JBT works.

No, I actually tried to say that you can use  all the features of our Seam tooling with seam-gen'ed projects *except* the WTP based deploy functionallity.

All wizards, editors and actions we have done what we could to make possible to run/use independent of project structure or even WTP.

anonymous wrote :
  | He seems to be saying that starting with JBT and continuing with JBT works (I should hope so).  Starting with seam-gen command line and staying with that also works.

That both works :)

anonymous wrote :
  | I think the biggest confusion at the moment, is how plain seam and JBT can work together (if they can).  If not, clarify that a seam-gen project can be imported into Eclipse but only if JBT is not installed.  At the moment it looks like you have to stay with what you start from, JBT or seam-gen command line.  After the huge effort to move to eclipse 3.4.2 (which is greatly appreciated), maybe more effort on JBT/seam-gen integration.

We would love contributions in this area!

anonymous wrote :
  |  I admit I do not understand the issues around ant versus WTP driven build/deploy and how hard that is to bridge.  I am speaking as a user here.

Ant is basically Random from the perspective of an IDE.

We could limit what the build.xml in seam-gen does and implement the same logic done by the ant scripts in JBoss Tools BUT as soon as seam-gen changes just the slightest we would be screwed (or rather our users would be). That is why we currently are syncing on what we can sync on - i.e. the templates. The library dependencies are next (i.e. mavenized).

anonymous wrote :
  | Note that Dan Allen, in "Seam in Action" "Choosing an IDE" says "I find NetBeans easier to get into if you are a new user"  I would hope this opinion can change, since NetBeans does not have the functionality that JBT has!

I'm doing what I can to let Dan Allen contribute to make JBT/JBDS his favorite choice :)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4219301#4219301

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4219301