[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal Users] - Re: Writing a log4j email service

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 3 11:49:55 EST 2009

I have always used a valid "from" field, even the log4j book I have is silent as to if the "from" address needs to be valid.

You don't have to add the extra category - what you did earlier for root should be fine.

The one thing I don't see for the SMTPAppender is authentication handling. I know that my ISP requires an account and a password to send email. But I cannot recall how I handled this when I set up the SMTPAppender before (and of course I no longer have that configuration).

OK, I looked up the javadoc for SMTPAppender (http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/net/SMTPAppender.html), there is a SMTPUsername and SMTPPassword parameter, which you can set using:

<appender ...>
  |   <param name="SMTPUsername" value="xxx"/>
  |   <param name="SMTPPassword" value="xxx"/>
  | </appender>

The stupid book I have doesn't event mention these parameters, nor a few others that are available on SMTPAppender.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4263757#4263757

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4263757