[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & Deployment] - JBOSS 4.3 EAP NOT PICKING UP TNSNAMES.ORA

scubie999 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Nov 9 06:15:37 EST 2009

Hi All

I have installed a Solaris Intel Server with JBOSS 4.3 EAP and Oracle 10.2.0.1 client (64 bit).

I can do a tnsping and sqlplus to the database with no problem, however, when I start JBOSS it gives me an error:

10:22:38,335 WARN  [JBossManagedConnectionPool] Throwable while attempting to get a new connection: null
org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection; - nested throwable: (java.sql.SQLException: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
)

If I change the oci connect descriptor to include the full description from the tnsnames.ora file, the system starts up.  If I use the thin connection it also works.

I have also checked permissions of the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, the user has rights to it.

i.e.:

This does not work:
<connection-url>jdbc:oracle:oci:@ORCL</connection-url>

despite sqlplus user/pass at ORCL working, so does tnsping ORCL.

This does work:
<connection-url>jdbc:oracle:oci:@(description=(address=(host=hostname)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521))(connect_data=(sid=ORCL)))</connection-url>

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you