[jboss-user] [JBoss Cache Users] - Concurrency problems - cache puts lost

a.kluge do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 24 16:26:20 EST 2009

Hi,

   In running some concurrency tests, where multiple threads do simultaneous puts
 against a cache, some of the puts appear to be lost. I run a set of 5 threads to do
 puts, then run a set of five threads to do gets. Many times, all the keys that are put
 into the cache are not present in the cache. I see this with 3.1.0, and also the newest
 stable version, 3.2.1.

  Running the contained code produces messages such as:
    24 Nov 2009 14:44:50,135 ERROR [] com.m1.test.local.ConcurrencyTest Missing value for Key1.

    The trace shows that the get was done, and that it returned null.
  24 Nov 2009 14:44:50,134 TRACE [] org.jboss.cache.interceptors.InvocationContextInterceptor Invoked with command GetKeyValueCommand{fqn=/BigNode, key=Key1, sendNodeEvent=true} and InvocationContext [InvocationContext{transaction=null, globalTransaction=null, transactionContext=null, optionOverrides=Option{failSilently=false, cacheModeLocal=false, dataVersion=null, suppressLocking=false, lockAcquisitionTimeout=-1, forceDataGravitation=false, skipDataGravitation=false, forceAsynchronous=false, forceSynchronous=false, suppressPersistence=false, suppressEventNotification=false}, originLocal=true, bypassUnmarshalling=false}]
24 Nov 2009 14:44:50,134 TRACE [] org.jboss.cache.interceptors.CallInterceptor Executing command: GetKeyValueCommand{fqn=/BigNode, key=Key1, sendNodeEvent=true}.
24 Nov 2009 14:44:50,134 TRACE [] org.jboss.cache.commands.read.GetKeyValueCommand Found value null

  However, earlier in the  run I have put the Key into the cache.

  24 Nov 2009 14:44:40,831 INFO  [] com.m1.test.local.ConcurrencyTest Putting Key1

  And the trace indicates that a value was put for the key:

  24 Nov 2009 14:44:40,829 TRACE [] org.jboss.cache.interceptors.InvocationContextInterceptor Invoked with command PutKeyValueCommand{fqn=/BigNode, dataVersion=null, globalTransaction=null, key=Key1, value=This is a test.} and InvocationContext [InvocationContext{transaction=null, globalTransaction=null, transactionContext=null, optionOverrides=Option{failSilently=false, cacheModeLocal=false, dataVersion=null, suppressLocking=false, lockAcquisitionTimeout=-1, forceDataGravitation=false, skipDataGravitation=false, forceAsynchronous=false, forceSynchronous=false, suppressPersistence=false, suppressEventNotification=false}, originLocal=true, bypassUnmarshalling=false}]

  These log records are all for the same run of the test code. Since the get happens after the put, I would expect for the corresponding value to be returned.

  I have appended the test, which is a reasonably simple and self contained case.
 Is there anything else, perhaps in terms of MVCC options I should try?

                                                             Thanks,
                                                                      Alex

  | package com.m1.test.local;
  |
  | import org.jboss.cache.Cache;
  | import org.jboss.cache.config.Configuration;
  | import java.util.concurrent.CyclicBarrier;
  | import org.jboss.cache.DefaultCacheFactory;
  | import org.jboss.cache.Fqn;
  | import java.util.HashSet;
  | import org.apache.commons.logging.Log;
  | import org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory;
  |
  | /**
  |  * This test will be used to put a specific number of enteries into the cache,
  |  * and measure the amount of memory taken by the cache.
  |  */
  | public class ConcurrencyTest
  | {
  |     private static final Fqn<String> FQN              = Fqn.fromString("BigNode");
  |     private static final Log         LOG              = LogFactory.getLog(ConcurrencyTest.class);
  |     private static final int         NTHREADS         = 5;
  |     private static final String      VALUE            = "This is a test.";
  |
  |     private final CyclicBarrier barrier       = new CyclicBarrier(NTHREADS);
  |     private       Thread[]      threads       = new Thread[NTHREADS];
  |

  |     public ConcurrencyTest()
  |            throws Throwable
  |     {
  |         Cache<Object, Object> cache = createCache();
  |
  |         for (int iteration=0; iteration<10; iteration++)
  |         {
  |             for(int j=0; j<NTHREADS; j++)
  |             {
  |                 threads[j] = new WriteThread(cache, barrier, iteration, j);
  |                 threads[j].start();
  |             }
  |
  |             for(int j=0; j<NTHREADS; j++)
  |             {
  |                 threads[j].join(500);
  |             }
  |         }
  |
  |         for (int iteration=0; iteration<10; iteration++)
  |         {
  |             for(int j=0; j<NTHREADS; j++)
  |             {
  |                 threads[j] = new ReadThread(cache, barrier, iteration, j);
  |                 threads[j].start();
  |             }
  |
  |             for(int j=0; j<NTHREADS; j++)
  |             {
  |                 threads[j].join(500);
  |             }
  |         }
  |
  |         while(true)
  |         {
  |             Thread.sleep(3600000);
  |         }
  |     }
  |
  |       public Cache<Object, Object> createCache()
  |              throws Exception
  |       {
  |         Cache<Object, Object> cache = new DefaultCacheFactory().createCache();
  |         cache.create();
  |         cache.start();
  |         return cache;
  |     }
  |
  |     private static class WriteThread extends Thread
  |     {
  |         private       CyclicBarrier         barrier;
  |         private       Cache<Object, Object> cache;
  |         private       int                   iteration;
> [...]

Some other details:

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_16"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode)

$ uname -a
Linux aklugelnx 2.6.28-16-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 20 19:48:32 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The only JVM option I use is -Xmx2g to ensure enough space in the cache.

I would welcome suggestions, and even requests for more details or some additional tests to further pin down why I don see what I expect. I be happy to find it to be a configuration option I missed.

                                                                 Thanks,
                                                                           Alex

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4267408#4267408

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4267408