[jboss-user] [jBPM Users] - Handling failure of automated activities

emp.tyres do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 2 17:37:02 EDT 2009

Hello -
     I am very, very happy with Jbpm4, and I am currently looking for a hint on best practices for handling failures of automatic activities invoking retries or failovers - for example, a  whose class connects to an external server (which may be down at the time of calling)

     I understand I can signal the failure in the  return variable and model the retry / failover process explicitly with a switch, but that seems rather cumbersome.

     My preference would be to have the possibility to implicitly choose from the  activity the outgoing transition, pointing to a "retry" state which periodically re-enters the automatic activity with a timer. I am not sure if it is possible to define that an exception in the java class with exception-handlers, because the docs seem incomplete.

    Also, about exception handling, I could not find any hints on these two points:
        1- what possibilities are there to "recover" a process that has encountered an unhandled exception?
        2- will other process instances running in the same PVM keep going in such a case?

Any pointers woud be really appreciated.

Bye and thanks.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4253180#4253180

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4253180