[jboss-user] [jBPM Users] - Re: Implementing Escalation in jBPM 4.1

kukeltje do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Sep 25 06:34:00 EDT 2009

One day late, and afternoon already since this response required a little digging for me :-)

In theory you are right, escalating is a basic BPM-thing

In practical situations howeever, escalation differs from company to company, department to department etc... and if you have a look at http://www.workflowpatterns.com/patterns/resource/detour/wrp28.php you see that even the theoretical people look at it from a very narrow perspective.

They say jBPM (3.1.4 !!!!) does not support it, that is because they assume businesspeople should be able to to everything, and a BPM 'framework' like jBPM which can do much more than other products gets a '-' rating because sometimes you need java... sigh...

You can make it as complex as needed like in the article you refer to, but you can also keep it simple and just assigning  the current task to someone else on a timeout event.

The way it is done in the article is valid for jBPM 3 and 4 (ok different interfaces and jpdl changes, but the basics is the same)

jBPM 4 has a still undocumented feature (it is not even in the dev guide yet) which is based in the PVM. There is the concept of a "task lifecycle" in combination with the accompanying java code.

But keep in mind, it is not supported. This does not mean it does not work, only that there are no guarantees that it stays 100% as it is, and that I and other users, probably did not customize it much either so support in the forum is also kind of limited.

What *is* nice about this 'solution' is that jBPM eats its own dogfood (again) by re-using the pvm in yet another way.

(I think someone could even make a (ws-)Human Task based on this if he/she cares to read 100's of pages)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4257042#4257042

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4257042