[jboss-user] [JBoss Web Services Development] - Recent changes on CXF integration

Alessio Soldano do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Apr 2 12:50:28 EDT 2010

Alessio Soldano [http://community.jboss.org/people/alessio.soldano%40jboss.com] created the discussion

"Recent changes on CXF integration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/535401#535401

Folks,
due to the requirements for  https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-2971 https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-2971 , I had to review a bit the current cxf stack integration.
Basically, we used to depend on CXFServlet triggering the Bus creation and have the servlet's loadBus method overwritten to also load our additional beans from jboss-cxf.xml.
This recently turned up to be a problem as the CXF Bus creation needs to happen at deploy time for some kind of operation to be possible; JBWS-2971 is an example, but more generally, depending on a servlet only for the bus creation is wrong (think about JMS endpoints,  https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-2987 https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-2987).
So, first of all I added a deployment aspect in the jbws-cxf stack for eagerly parsing the cxf.xml and our (provided or generated) jboss-cxf.xml into a Bus during deployment ( https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-2974 https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-2974). The Bus is then attached to the endpoint and the CXFServletExt checks it's already available before trying creating it.
An interesting question now is whether we want this to be the default behaviour or not. Currently there's a system property for choosing when to load the bus, the default is lazy behaviour (load in servlet). Anyway, a decision on this might also be related to how we properly review and fix the jms integration with cxf stack ( https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-2987 https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWS-2987).

Besides this, it's probably interesting to note that for fixing JBWS-2971 I started using another integration hook, ie. the Spring NamespaceHandlerSupport configuration. As you know, we're generating the jboss-cxf.xml file at deploy time and basically leveraging the spring configuration of CXF (in order to allow both stack agnostic deployments and cxf specific deployments to work seamlessly).
CXF has spring.handler configuration files that map namespaces for elements in the spring xml to default beans. We're now using a custom mapping for the jaxws.endpoint elements, which in the end allows us to overwrite the CXF org.apache.cxf.jaxws.EndpointImpl giving us control over the endpoint start/stop/publish/etc. while still delegating to the CXF one for the core processing.
Generally speaking, customizing the spring namespace handler configuration for loading different bean parsers is a powerful integration hook, to be considered in addition to the already used setup of CXF Configurer in the Bus.

Start a new discussion in JBoss Web Services Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2047]