[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Desperate for some documentation...please?

Ken Kopelson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Apr 3 18:51:59 EDT 2010

Ken Kopelson [http://community.jboss.org/people/kenbkop] created the discussion

"Desperate for some documentation...please?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/535477#535477

I am new to JBoss and am having trouble getting a simple Web Service working under Eclipse.  The main problem I am having is getting solid documentaiton that is complete and accurate.  I have two eBooks, one JBoss in Action, and JBoss AS 5 Development, but neither provides up-to-date information or examples that work.  I installed JBoss AS 5.1 and then followed the instructions provided in all the various examples I could find, and I keep getitng errors like "Invalid Port Type" or such things as that.  All the examples have values in their various annotations or XML config files that are not clearly documented, and the documentation that I can find it either out-of-date, sparse with no explanations, or incomplete.

Even the example provided in the JBoss documenation is incomplete since it only shows Java code for the class of a EJB and not the interface.  The interface is important to show since it requires some annotations also (apparently) because it is the interface name that is referenced in the WSDL, not the class... at least that is how it appears.

What I really need is:

1) A good example of a simple EJB Web Service, including the class, the interface, the web.xml, and any and all other configuration informations.  It should be clear about how things should be named, such as the end points, the SOAP type, the WebService annotation options like "name", "ServiceName" etc.  This is really where the problem is because I found that somebody else was having the same trouble as me (on google) and they said in their forum post "I changed the names to such-and-such and it fixed the problem" but then no explanation as to why it then worked.  A single, tested, complete example of a working WebService (hello world) that documents any assumptions about the environment (such as endpoint URL) and also provides a little discussion about options that can be chosen, would be very useful and helpful.

2) Some up-to-date documenation that gives tangible and complete examples of how things should be done with the new AS 6.  It seems that most documentation assumes that people already know JBoss, or have been using it for years, or are already familiar with all the new terms, etc.  It seems that the books out there are either out-of-date or not very complete.

Please help... I need this for my job as soon as possible... many thanks in advance!