[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Empty string process variable on Oracle 9i

Martin Pradny do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Apr 22 04:35:33 EDT 2010

Martin Pradny [http://community.jboss.org/people/mpradny] created the discussion

"Empty string process variable on Oracle 9i"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/538936#538936

I've just moved jbpm 4.3 application form my test environment on MySQL to customer's test server which storing data in Oracle 9i. I process I'm using process variables and test them in decision nodes, eg. is there is something take one path, otherwise take different one.

Problem is that when I store empty string variable in the database is physically stored null. When I try to read it back in EL I get error that variable has not been found.

I have found thread discussing handling null values in EL, but this is slightly different case. If I store "" I want to get "" back.

This should be completely transparent for the jbpm engine.

Am I missing some configuration in hibernate? I don't want to use solution that I would store some fake value instead of empty string e.g. "$$this_is_really_empty"  :^0 .

Martin