[jboss-user] [JBoss Cache] - How to model data to be stored in JBoss Cache

Sanjit Mohanty do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Aug 1 06:32:48 EDT 2010

Sanjit Mohanty [http://community.jboss.org/people/sanjit...] created the discussion

"How to model data to be stored in JBoss Cache"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/555300#555300

Hi,

I understand JBoss cache internally stores data in a map i.e. in a key-value pair.
So, incase i need to search for a data in the cache, i need to pass the key and i can retrieve the value.

But what if, i need to retrieve key based on value!

To clarify more on this, following is an example:

Consider i want to store empId, deptId in JBoss cache.
    empId = unique employee ID
    deptId = department ID. A particular employee can be associated to multiple departments.

I want to do following 2 things:
(1) Get the deptIds based on an empId
(2) Get the empIds based on a deptId

Now, if i make empId as key & store deptId as it's value, then i can achieve (1) without any issues but it will be a problem for (2) because i need to do a full traversal of values, which is in-efficient!

How should i model my data in this scenario?

Thanks In advance!

_Sanjit

Start a new discussion in JBoss Cache at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2052]