[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Case for using jBPM's PVM "naked"?

Ansgar Konermann do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 25 16:00:37 EDT 2010

Ansgar Konermann [http://community.jboss.org/people/akonermann] created the discussion

"Case for using jBPM's PVM "naked"?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/559031#559031

Hi all,

at work, our development team has created a very simple home-brew statemachine implementation to do a mixture of workflow management and simple business process management, all in plain java. This was a few years ago and met the requirements back then.

As the business process got more complicated, we are now looking into existing solutions supporting more concepts than our simplistic state machine does.

I skimmed the PVM documentation and found java classes resembling activities, nodes, transitions and the like. This looks promising, yet I'm not sure about the intended usage of PVM.

Is PVM intended to be used by developers to create process descriptions by coding in java, without using any of the XMLish or graphical "concrete syntaxes" of process modelling? If "intended to be used" is too much, would this at least be a sane, supported use case of PVM? Or is PVM altogether "under the hood" of jBPM and should not be used directly? How stable is the PVM API expected to be?

I'd be very glad if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance

Ansgar