[jboss-user] [jBPM] - JBPM 4.4 - exception recovery

Yuriy Fuksenko do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Dec 15 11:01:41 EST 2010

Yuriy Fuksenko [http://community.jboss.org/people/yfuksenk] created the discussion

"JBPM 4.4 - exception recovery"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/576183#576183

I have a Spring based web application with JBPM embeded.

I defined a workflow, that have a task followed by 3 custom activities:
activity1 - calls webservice
activity2 - sends email
activity3 - sends JMS message

At some point my application calls taskService.finishTask, and those activities will be executed.
What I need, is in a case of error (let say SMTPserver is unreachable or web service is not up):
1. Activity should be retried until it succeed (I understand that a lot of logic could be suggested around this, like retry count, notifications, etc, but I am simplifying this on purpose)
2. Activities that succeeded should not be repeated, i.e. if activity2 fails, activity1 should not be executed again (and this is what happens now if any of those activities throws an exception - I guess it has to do with transaction being rolled back)

So my question is - Is there an easy or at least standard way of doing this in JBPM?