[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: JBPM5 - Process Versioning

Michał Minicki do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Dec 22 12:55:11 EST 2010

Michał Minicki [http://community.jboss.org/people/Valgoerad] created the discussion

"Re: JBPM5 - Process Versioning"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/577252#577252

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, Kris. As far as I know, current JBPM 5 implementation allows you to deploy processes from file system alone (yes, I know Guvnor integration is in the works). So, when you overwrite the old bpmn process file with a new version, you basically lose the previous  version of the diagram. How the JBPM engine actually manages to "remember" old process definition? I haven't seen anything in the persistent storage (database).

Or is my assumption wrong and you have to deploy a new version of the process in a separate file with a different name (which actually makes the SCM versioning useless)? In that case how does the JBPM know the two are the newer and older version of the same  business process? The  name correlation is only cosmetic, isn't it? All in all, you start processes with a process id (which needs to be changed, according to your words).

I'm totally new to JBPM, so don't hesitate to send me to Drools or JBPM5 manual section where I can read more on that issue.