[jboss-user] [JCA] New message: "Re: Network boundaries in JCA?"

Ben Cotton do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Feb 10 18:03:14 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Network boundaries in JCA?":

http://community.jboss.org/message/525612#525612

Author  : Ben Cotton
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/ben.cotton@rutgers.edu

Message:
> ljnelson wrote:
>

> To best illustrate, assume we have a Java Application Client on
> another machine, connecting to the app server.  Suppose that client
> looks up my resource adapter from its JNDI implementation which of
> course is supplied correctly by the application server in accordance
> with the Java EE spec.
>
> Now,
> the JCA specification says that upon deployment, over on the server
> side, my .rar file will help the application server to create an
> instance of my ManagedConnectionFactory implementation, which, in turn,
> will create a connecton factory (little c, little f) that will be
> installed in JNDI.  It is for this reason of course that the connection
> factory (little c, little f) needs to be both Serializable and
> Referenceable.  All fine and good.

The JCA specification does not explicitly address accommodating a +remote+ client application's JNDI lookup() of a ConnectionFactory reference that bridges to a provider's ConnectionFactory implementation via that provider's resource adapter.  Accommodating a +remote+ client application in this way would be a value added feature above and beyond what the spec requires for the ConnectionFactory bridge.  Though it is not a strict JCA requirement, some JEE app servers do accommodate this capability (but some don't).

Some similar recent discussion w.r.t.  JBoss AS 5.1 and this issue takes place here:

http://community.jboss.org/message/525226#525226 ,
http://community.jboss.org/thread/72803?tstart=0