[jboss-user] [JCA] New message: "Re: Network boundaries in JCA?"

Laird Nelson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Feb 11 07:59:51 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Network boundaries in JCA?":

http://community.jboss.org/message/525750#525750

Author  : Laird Nelson
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/ljnelson

Message:
> Yes it is a n/w call. The JCA infrastruture like the pooling
> implementation does not passed to the remote client. The remote client
> should get the proxy of the CF via JNDI along with the proxy of CM.
> Check the implemetation of the jdbc RA in Jboss, check this class
Ah, OK, now I get it.  That means the specification is +very+ badly under-specific about the contract that a connection handle must have with the caller.  It also means the specification is +very+ badly under-specific about the return values from methods on the connection factory.

What I mean is, if an application server is always going to provide a connection factory proxy (I assume you mean a java.lang.reflect.Proxy?), then any operations that the client performs +on+ that Proxy that return values +must+ return Serializable values.  That would, presumably, include the connection handle implementation.

> The Connection implementation should implement the Serializable
> interface
This certainly follows, but it is not mentioned in the specification.  (Then again, neither is it mentioned that application servers will construct Proxy instances of the ConnectionFactory and ConnectionManager classes.)

> Finally
> the usage of JCA is not intended to be used remotely, it is suppsoed to
> used by the jee components so that they get the infrastruture benefit
> like pooling,tx and security.
I am talking about an application client, which is a "jee component" in a fully managed environment.

If only I could find Rahul Sharma and ask him these questions directly!  :-)

Best,
Laird