[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] New message: "Re: 5.1.0.GA considerably slower than 4.0.3RC2! Up to 200%"

Emil Nilimaa do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 15 02:54:09 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "5.1.0.GA considerably slower than 4.0.3RC2! Up to 200%":

http://community.jboss.org/message/526254#526254

Author  : Emil Nilimaa
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/Eminil

Message:
To demonstrate this we simply added a test method at the top of one of our EJBs.

public void testJBossSpeed(org.apache.log4j.Logger log){

        String s = "";

        for(int i=0; i < 1000000; i++){
            s += i;
            if (s.length()> 1000){
                s = "";
            }
        }
    }

(We used System.currentTimeMillis() to fetch time before the method starts and when it stops to figure out the time it took to run).

JBoss 4.0.3RC2 = approx 2500ms

JBoss 5.1.0.GA = approx 3500ms

This is a fairly simple test though. When lots of code gets involved the slowness of 5.1.0 increases a lot to somewhere around 200-300%.

This is weird... it seems the whole VM is running slower? Is it some configuration issue we have messed up or forgot to turn on/off?