[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] New message: "Re: 5.1.0.GA considerably slower than 4.0.3RC2! Up to 200%"

Emil Nilimaa do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 15 12:08:39 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "5.1.0.GA considerably slower than 4.0.3RC2! Up to 200%":

http://community.jboss.org/message/526424#526424

Author  : Emil Nilimaa
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/Eminil

Message:
> peterj wrote:
>
> What timings do you get if you move the currentTimeMillis to inside the testJBossSpeed method (I'm trying to eliminate any possible AOP processing)?
>
> The testJBossSpeedis creating 1 million String objects, all of which end up being garbage. The only things I can think of regarding JBoss AS doing anything here are: a) some AOP config is wrapped around the String class, b) something is hooked into garbage collection.
>
> Oh, there is one more possibility - heap usage. If 5.1.0 uses significantly more heap than 4.0.3, and both app servers are set to that same heap size, then 5.1.0 will encounter more garbage collections. You can run with -verbose:gc to determine if this is the case.
The same timings apply even if we put everything inside the method.

Will try the verbose option and see what happens...