[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] New message: "Re: JBoss 3.2.6 - pauses for a minute during startup"

Brian Stansberry do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 26 18:15:15 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "JBoss 3.2.6 - pauses for a minute during startup":

http://community.jboss.org/message/528938#528938

Author  : Brian Stansberry
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/bstansberry@jboss.com

Message:
Oops; I misread. It's not checking System.getProperty("securerandom.source") -- it's Security.getProperty("securerandom.source"). And the value for that generally comes from
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.security

where $JAVA_HOME is the root of the JDK you're using.

On my system, that's

securerandom.source=file:/dev/urandom

If on your system it's file:/dev/random and your system provides /dev/urandom, yes, you might consider changing it to file:/dev/urandom. Or, if you want to limit the change to just this application and not all uses of the JDK, like you say, use -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/urandom

That's the workaround listed for this JDK bug:

The output from /dev/urandom may contain less entropy then that from /dev/random, but it won't block. Whether the decrease in entropy is important for you depends on your application. I'd think it would only be a concern for a very small subset of applications.