[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] New message: "Slow JVM memory leak"

Jon Walton do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jan 8 19:37:25 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Slow JVM memory leak":

http://community.jboss.org/message/519069#519069

Author  : Jon Walton
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/jw550

Message:
Greetings,

I am running JBoss AS 5.1/Sun JRE 1.6_17/ on CentOS 5.   I have a 2-node cluster using stateless EJBs accessied via both RMI and jboss-ws, three back-end SQL Server 2005 hosts accessed via jTDS.    No JNI code.

My JVM footprint slowly grows over a 24 hour period until it reaches 3G and of course terminates with an out of memory error.   The strange thing is that the Java heap stays very reasonable (~500M) and stabilizes.    Active thread count never goes over ~300.    The JVM footprint itself just continues to grow until it exhausts the 32-bit limit of 3 gigs.   Please note that I am NOT getting heap allocation errors as I am running with initial/max of 1024M and the Java heap stays well below that.

This seemed to begin with my upgrade from 4.2.3 to 5.10.   That is also when I went from standalone to a clustered configuration.

I am stumped.   I have spent two weeks trying to track this down and am getting no further.   Can anyone offer some troubleshooting tips?   All the Java memory analysis tools (Eclipse MAT, jmap, jconsole) don't really help as they all report a small, stable java heap size.   There is some resource in the JVM itself that is leaking.   Running pmap against the JVM pid also does not tell me much, other than that there is a large amount of [anon] memory allocated, mostly in smaller (300K) chunks.

Thank you,

Jon