[jboss-user] [Datasource Configuration] New message: "Problem with number of database connections (Oracle)"

Michal Rorat do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jan 12 08:09:02 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Problem with number of database connections (Oracle)":

http://community.jboss.org/message/519497#519497

Author  : Michal Rorat
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/michal_rorat

Message:
Hi, I have a problem with configuring JBoss connetion to Oracle database. We are running out of connections on Oracle machine because of this issue.

My configuration in oracle-ds.xml:

  <local-tx-datasource>
    <jndi-name>OracleDS</jndi-name>
    <driver-class>oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</driver-class>

    <connection-url>jdbc:oracle:thin:@[dbname:port:sid]</connection-url>
    <user-name>[user_name]<user-name>
    <password>[password]</password>
    <min-pool-size>0</min-pool-size>
    <max-pool-size>60</max-pool-size>

I also have a library which creates its own connection pool with
min-pool-size=0
max-pool-size=10

And 5 MDBs with one connection reserver for each of them.

You might think that in this configuration after starting JBoss you will have 5 connections made to DB but I have 38! Even when I set max-pool-size in oracle-ds.xml to 5 it don't change the number of created connections which I get from Oracle Enterprise Manager.

If I put for example 5 in min-pool-size the numer of connection created is 43.

I also tried to find out the configuration for ManagedConnectionPool MBean with this command:
twiddle.bat invoke jboss.jca:service=ManagedConnectionPool,name=OracleDS listFormattedSubPoolStatistics

Sub Pool Statistics:
Sub Pool Count: 1
---------------------------------

Track By Transaction: true
Available Connections Count: 60
Max Connections In Use Count:1
Connections Destroyed Count:2
Connections In Use Count:0
Total Block Time:0
Average Block Time For Sub Pool:0
Maximum Wait Time For Sub Pool:0
Total Timed Out:2

My questions are...
- how can I find the place where those connections are created?
- is there any other configuration for connection pools?
- is there a list of connections with a class name which created each one of them?

Regards,
Michal Rorat