[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] New message: "Re: german umlauts get lost"

Andre Eikermann do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jan 15 17:09:14 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "german umlauts get lost":

http://community.jboss.org/message/520409#520409

Author  : Andre Eikermann
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/aeik

Message:
Hello,

check those 3 things but it does not solve my problem.

I tried some things, read a lot source code.

I removed all UTF-8 settings like URIencoding=UTF-8, JAVA_OPTS -dFile-Encoding=UTF-8 from the configuration files. It makes no difference.

I've set a filter with request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8"). it's the first filter which is executed, but my umlauts are already garbled there. so this garbling must happen before the filters are executed.

I wrote a small Servlet with a small form and an input field. When i set request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") everything works fine. if it's not set my umlauts are grabled too.

So setting request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") ist required, but where do i have to set it.

This behaviour is reproducabel on a standalone tomcat server and a JBoss 5 Server.

Best regards

Andre