[jboss-user] [JBoss Microcontainer] New message: "Re: Undemanding Dependencies"

Adrian Brock do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jan 21 13:59:10 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Undemanding Dependencies":

http://community.jboss.org/message/521548#521548

Author  : Adrian Brock
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/adrian@jboss.org

Message:
> mailto:david.lloyd at jboss.com wrote:
>
> > mailto:adrian at jboss.org wrote:
> >
> > Editor, ate my post again. ;-)
> >
> > Following the last comment, I'm not sure you wouldn't want more fine grained control on
> > which dependencies start your bean?
> >
> > <bean name="A" mode="On Demand">
> > <bean>
> >
> > <bean name="B" mode="On Demand"/>
> Ah, that would be neat.  Let me see if I can wrap my brain around that...
>
> So in this example, transitive-start would really mean that the targeted bean would control when this bean starts.  So the question is, if you had two such injected bean properties, when would A start?  When either injection is started, or only when both are?
You could make a configuration option, e.g. something like

Require both dependencies to start:

<bean name="A" mode="On Demand">
<bean>

Any one

<bean name="A" mode="On Demand">
<bean>

But unless starting A triggers some other knock-on effects, the second example is likely to stall with a missing dependency anyway. ;-)
So I think you'd probably want all the dependencies marked transitive-start anyway?