[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Memory consumption 1h after JBoss start

Ruchir Choudhry do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 22 03:07:48 EDT 2010

Ruchir Choudhry [http://community.jboss.org/people/ruchirc] replied to the discussion

"Memory consumption 1h after JBoss start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/553869#553869

Hello,

Please look into the following things, it will surly help you.

01> Your JVM setting is not as per Jboss or Sun Standards. both says the Xms and Xms need to be same. Try the below setup change it based on your system needs.

-Xmx2048m -Xms2048m -XX:MaxNewSize=256m -XX:NewSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=5m -XX:ParallelGCThreads=20 -XX:-DisableExplicitGC  -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ThreadStackSize=1024 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000

I have listed a series of test on various parameters, as below(link) try to see if you can grab some info from there.

 http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-15623?uniqueTitle=false http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-15623?uniqueTitle=false

02> you can also use Visual VM provided by Sun to see if its something induced due to profiling, I dont see this as a reason but no harm is checking.
03> The the GC cycle when its happening and what is the object left in NEW Gen and Old Gen, dose it get cleared eventually or its holding up.
04> If its holding up than the problem is with the code, profile it, you will get explicit details which class, inner class, which method is causing it
05> Are you using a lot of static methords, caching in JVM or large session object

Please let me know how it goes, Publish the machine details too.

Thanks,
Ruchir

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]