[jboss-user] [jBPM] New message: "Re: can i fork and then join up an end-user specified number of"

M M do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Mar 8 16:20:35 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "can i fork and then join up an end-user specified number of":

http://community.jboss.org/message/530638#530638

Author  : M M
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/gubespam

Message:
I have this same problem, and I am implementing a solution in the same way you have described.

I have two special custom activities - one that is able to spawn multiple new processes based on some runtime criteria and another that does the join, waiting until all the spawned (child) processes are finished. I have some special process variables that I keep in the child processes that gives me  information about which parent process it belongs to (ie. execution id).

When the child process finishes, I keep track of this and if my parent process is currently in the "join" step, I also signal the parent execution. My signal() method catches these signals and either continues waiting (if more child processes are still running) or take a transition (if all child processes are finished).

Using a scheme like this, you'd only need one swimlane definition in the child process definition, since you would be spawning multiple instances.