[jboss-user] [jBPM] New message: "Question About Forks and Modeling Rework Requests in jbpm4"

Robert Moskal do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Mar 12 14:04:05 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Question About Forks and Modeling Rework Requests in jbpm4":

http://community.jboss.org/message/531702#531702

Author  : Robert Moskal
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/rmoskal

Message:
Hi all:

I've been modeling a process which is a pipeline in which one can always be sent back from the current state to a preceding one.  This corresponds to a rework request. I handle this by having a decision node at  that uses a variable expression to decide what node to target.

Everything works fine when I have a linear pipeline, but when I introduce forks and joins things become interesting.  Here is a simplified version of a pipeline:

http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2327/Screenshot-Java+-+skyline-workflow-core-src-main-resources-process-ForkAssumptionTest.jpdl.xml+-+Eclipse+.png

Things mostly work as I would expect.  When my process is at activity *state2* and *state3* (right after the fork)  and I signal state2 with "to rework"  with *state1* as the target, indeed I get an active execution at *state1*.  But if I then signal *state1* to go take the "to fork 1" transition jbpm comes back with a org.hibernate.exception.ConstraintViolationException as tries to execute *state3*.  Now this makes sense to me since there is already an execution at *state3*.

I'm wondering what I should do about it.  For my clients use case it would be acceptable to terminate the original execution at *state3*.  But am curious as to whether anyone else has run into this sort of situation and what they've done to handle it.

Thanks and regards,

Robert Moskal
Brooklyn, USA