[jboss-user] [jBPM Development] - JBPM-2414 and JBPM-2506

Maciej Swiderski do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun May 23 15:15:23 EDT 2010

Maciej Swiderski [http://community.jboss.org/people/swiderski.maciej] replied to the discussion

"JBPM-2414 and JBPM-2506"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/544387#544387

Hi,

as suggested, I started to look into multiplicity attribute of join activity and found out that there is quite serious issue (if I got it right).
In general, please consider following scenario:
- there is a process with one fork that has three branches
- each of the branch points to another task activity
- join activity uses multiplicity attribute to continue flow as soon as two any branches will reach it
- after join there is a state activity

So what will happen is that after two tasks will be completed execution will move on to state activity but the last task will still be active. So in case where some one would like to signal the execution (assuming that execution is now in state node) there will be an exception (execution[ForkJoingMultiplicity.7] is not active: inactive-concurrent-root) because signalling will be task instead of state activity.
In my opinion (in case of using multiplicity attribute of join) all not finished child execution should be terminated at the time of signaling join activity to prevent problems with active executions.

Hope I described the issue good enough.

Please find attached test case that should fail when using trunk version of join activity together with multiplicity attribute.

I made a fix for it but just want to discuss that my understanding is correct.

Start a new discussion in jBPM Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2035]